Have you ever had an “aha!” moment that made you feel so dumb because something obvious was lurking in front of your nose, but you never thought of it yourself?
There are affiliate links in this post. I may earn money if you purchase this product from this link.
I had one of those a few months ago. I moved to a new place and started paying more attention to the items I was throwing away. Really, just trying to be more cognizant of taking the time to wash plastic, rinse out cans, etc. And, I just had a moment where I was running out of garbage bags. I had this thought, “Why am I still buying plastic garbage bags?”
I really don’t have an excuse not to. I live alone. My garbage chute is literally 15 steps from my front door, and I don’t produce that much trash. It’s not that I was ever worried about having durable, never-break, never-tear garbage bags, it’s just that I had NEVER THOUGHT OF BUYING COMPOSTABLE BAGS BEFORE. You know why? Nobody I know does it. Nobody I know ever talked about it. So now I’m trying to spread the word.
UNNI is the only brand of a compostable bag I have used. So, at this point in my life, it’s the best. I have no complaints. It’s just a regular trash bag without the bells and whistles – no elastic, no ties/handles. They come in a simple (recyclable) cardboard box. In my experience the past few months, the bags haven’t torn—nor have they disintegrated in front of my eyes—but I’d use care for heavier trash. From their website:
- Meets stringent requirements of municipal compostable programs & ASTM6400
- BIP Certified. The US industry compostable standards authority
- Also certified by European OK Compost Home for disposal in home backyard compost settings
- HIGHEST BIOBASED CONTENT: UNNI Compostable Bags are made from the starches of plants, and contain NO polyethylene. These bags are durable and reliable while is good for the environment.
- CERTIFIED IN U.S. & EUROPE: Denotes certification by the Biodegradable Products Institute (BPI) with the U.S. standard ASTM D6400. Also certified by European OK Compost Home as compostable in backyard or home composting facilities,this is one of the world’s only home composting certifications and it is based on the European standard EN 13432.
- Ideal use as kitchen trash bag, food waste collection bag, and other organic waste collection bag. Used one compostable bag means one fewer plastic bag used. Together, we can make our home earth a better and more sustainable place. Thank You for thinking about the environment. You are our hero!
See?! If you read above, it literally says you should use this as a kitchen trash bag…but that’s not the right way to go about it. In any case, these bags are meant to be used within 9 months of purchase, and kept in a cool/dry place (so they don’t break down). They came in sizes from 15 litre bags to 33-gallon lawn & leaf bags. Plus, they have dog poop bags. Rejoice, dog lovers!
So, yes, I lived in a bubble and never even realized there was such a thing as compostable trash bags. But, now that I’m using them, I don’t miss the original at all. If you haven’t tried them yet, visit UNNI and see if compostable is for you (or your dog)!