Hi! I’m MJ and I’m a recovering trash addict.
Like many people, I have been an aspirational recycler for years. Meaning, I have usually just thrown everything in my recycling bin and figured that it would end up in the right place.
As the EPA has started rolling back regulations on pollution, and I see more and more photos of trash in the ocean and dead sea creatures washed ashore, my cold, dead heart has been warmed (much like the earth’s core). In short, I have found myself increasingly concerned about my personal contribution to these issues and feeling helpless. My sarcasm reaches no bounds on Twitter, so I figured I’d actually have to start doing something good with my time to make up for it.
I started HowToRecycle.co because:
- I want to hold myself accountable for making better choices when it comes to the environment
- I want to keep up to date with the latest eco-friendly products
- I want to use my voice to help others start making a positive impact on the environment one baby step at a time
In the past 4 years I have:
- Stopped driving a vehicle and only use public transportation to get around.
- Started searching the internet for the appropriate ways to recycle common items
- Went to my first farmer’s market (please don’t send me notes to tell me how horrible those are—support farmers wherever you can!)
- Started using compostable trash bags instead of plastic ones
- Started to take the time to learn about recycling, reusing, and reducing waste
In case it’s not obvious, I am not an expert on the environment. Nor am I a trained scientist. I am a very sarcastic person, who has been a professional writer for most of her career, so a blog is a perfect outlet for me to share everything I am learning with all of you.
That being said, I kindly invite you to share your knowledge with me, talk about issues that are bothering you, tell me where I’m wrong (you know you want to), and help me discover new things!