First of all, look at how fun this plant-based pop-up sponge is! If you have kids, I think they’d get a kick out of it.
These came in a pack of 12, for around $12 at Trader Joe’s. I see you can also buy them from Amazon if there’s no Trader Joe’s near you.
First of all, besides the fact that they’re fun to watch grow, they’re actually quite durable. My boyfriend and I were expecting a flimsy sponge that would fall apart when met with cleaning the counter, or stovetop, but we were wildly surprised that it’s robust and does the job.
For fun (and for our health) we put it in the dishwasher when we ran a load. Guess what? It came out clean, with no little pieces trapped in our filter.
Judging by the durability, I’m going to imagine that this will last at least a month, so 12 sponges over 12 months. That’s slightly less than ScrubDaddy, but keep in mind that this sponge doesn’t change colors.
- Washable in Dishwasher and Microwave
- Plant-Based (which emits fewer toxins when manufactured
- They’re compact and easy to store under your sink
- They are a bit more expensive than traditional sponges (but healthy products always seem to be, right?)
- They don’t have a scrub pad, so this isn’t for heavy-duty cleaning
- You have to compost them
Overall, I’m pleased with this purchase. I think my next step is to purchase an eco-friendly scrub pad. I heard there are some coconut ones that seem to do well. If you have any suggestions for scrub pads, or questions about this product, please leave them in the comments or contact me!